Getting to Know You

For this Thursday's open-topic blog, it seems appropriate to talk a little more about myself and my training (more than the brief blogger profile can include).

I've been teaching in higher education for ten years, and full-time at the University of Central Missouri for seven.  I am a tenured Associate Professor of History in the Department of History, Sociology, Anthropology, and Cross-Disciplinary Studies.  I teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the face-to-face, hybrid, and online formats, and on topics that include: U.S. nineteenth-century history, the Civil War and Reconstruction, American military history, and the history of flight.   I have also taught honors seminars and writing seminars for our history program majors.

My Ph.D. is in American history from Rice University, and I have also taken graduate coursework in instructional design as part of the Educational Technology Leadership program at the George Washington University.  I have over one hundred hours of training in various ed technologies like Blackboard, Adobe Connect, and Softchalk.  I also have formal training in using rubrics for assessment from the Association of American Colleges and Universities (the VALUES rubric program).  I have completed the Peer Reviewer and Master Reviewer certifications through Quality Matters for best practices in online course design, and am currently pursuing certification in instructional design through the Online Learning Consortium (OLC).

For the last year, I have served as the History Program Coordinator where I was responsible for redesigning the program-level assessments, curriculum design and mapping, student advising, building student support tools, and creating stronger connections with the Career Services office and a program advisory board.  I have conducted multiple student surveys to better inform our program re-design, and also worked closely on the development of General Education Program rubrics for university-wide assessment (and how those interact with programs).  Last year I served on the Faculty Senate Distance Education Committee, considering and developing strategies for professional development support for online faculty and online course design.

Independent of my work at UCM, I have my own business that focuses on educational consulting and multimedia materials development.  I am producing a history video series to increase public access to short-form history documentaries based on recent scholarship, and will soon be expanding my video production to include a series on teaching in coordination with colleagues in the Kansas City area.  You can read more about my projects at my website: http://drjessicacannon.com.

The fields of instructional design and the scholarship of teaching and learning are constantly evolving and growing.  I look forward to learning from you too in the comments and discussions on this blog!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origins

Tuesday Tool: Remind